Can I appeal a workers’ compensation decision in South Carolina?

injured worker with broken arm in office

It’s imperative to bear in mind that despite feeling safe at your job, there’s always a risk of getting injured. In such situations, you are entitled to file a claim for a workers’ compensation award. However, despite being able to file a claim, it should be noted that your claim may be denied for numerous reasons, even if you suffered catastrophic injuries and incurred substantial damages. This leads many injured workers to wonder whether they can appeal a workers’ compensation decision if they disagree with their award. Please continue reading and contact a determined Chesterfield County Work Injury Lawyer who can help guide you through the complex appeals process.

What is workers’ compensation?

Workers’ compensation is an insurance that provides cash benefits to individuals who have been injured or have become ill as a direct result of their job. If you can prove that you were injured or fallen ill while on the job, you should be able to receive a workers’ compensation award for your damages. In South Carolina, workers’ compensation benefits typically cover the cost of all medical bills associated with the injury and up to 66 ⅔ % of your average weekly wage. Therefore, this insurance can cover medical treatments, wage replacement, vocational rehabilitation, and other benefits. This is a type of insurance that most employers are required to carry for their employees.

What should I do if I disagree with my workers’ compensation award in South Carolina?

Fortunately, if you are unhappy with your workers’ compensation case’s outcome, you have the right to appeal their decision. As you hold this right, you can file an appeal, requesting an informal hearing with a judge who will review your case to determine whether the decision that has been previously made regarding your case is incorrect. To request a review of a workers’ compensation decision, you must file a claim with the Division of Workers’ Compensation Commission. You must provide a written request stipulating your reasoning for disagreeing with the decision. You are entitled to include evidence to prove your claim. If you want to file an appeal, you must do so within the strict deadline. Generally, you must submit your request within 30 days to the South Carolina Court of Appeals.

Work-related injuries and illnesses can derail your life for a substantial amount of time as they likely will prevent you from earning a living. As such, if you disagree with a workers’ compensation award, you must take the necessary steps to fight for your rightful compensation. If you suffered a work-related injury, it is in your best interest to contact a skilled Chesterfield County work injury lawyer from the Cockrell Law Firm, P.C., who can help you fight to attain the maximum compensation you deserve. Our firm is prepared to represent your interests today.