Do I need to have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage in South Carolina?

auto insurance

Being involved in a car accident is an overwhelming experience. However, you may wonder what happens when you are injured in a hit-and-run accident or if the motorist who hit you doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your losses from the collision. In many states, motorists are required by law to carry uninsured and underinsured insurance coverage. Even in states where they are not mandatory, it is still highly recommended to have this type of auto insurance as it can protect you from paying out of pocket for damages resulting from a collision that was not your fault. If you have been injured in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact a determined Chesterfield County Car Accident Lawyer who can help you understand your legal options. Keep reading to learn whether motorists are legally required to carry uninsured or underinsured in South Carolina.

What is uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage in South Carolina?

If you are hit by a driver without auto insurance, uninsured motorist coverage will protect you. Underinsured motorist coverage is another type of auto insurance typically offered alongside uninsured motorist coverage that protects you if you are hit by a driver who doesn’t have enough coverage to pay for damages. In South Carolina, all motorists are required by law to carry uninsured motorist coverage. Unlike uninsured motorist coverage, auto insurers are typically required to offer motorists UIM coverage. However, they are not required to purchase it. Drivers must carry at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in bodily liability coverage. In addition, they must carry uninsured motorist coverage for property damage of $25,000.

Uninsured motorist coverage is beneficial as it allows you to go through your own insurance company for monetary compensation for damages you sustain if the at-fault driver’s auto insurance does not cover them. According to the Insurance Information Institute, 13% of drivers nationwide do not have auto insurance. Without motorist coverage, you could be stuck paying for your losses if you are injured in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. It is also critical to note that drivers can only carry underinsured motorist coverage if they purchase the minimum liability coverage.

Following an accident, your insurer may not explain that uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage could help you pay for some of your losses. If you do not understand how uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage works, you may end up paying for your losses out of pocket. To avoid this, contact a skilled Chesterfield County car accident lawyer. Our firm is committed to helping our clients seek reasonable compensation for their damages.